Weather Delays & Cancellations
We appreciate your cooperation during our challenging mountain winters. We do our best to balance student and family safety with school attendance. We are an educational institution and it is our goal to be in school if travel is safe for all. Start to think now about your family plan for inclement weather days.
There are already 8 days built into the school calendar for weather make-up days that will not affect the student schedule. If we have more than 8 bad weather cancellations, we will notify families of the plan for reaching the required 180 school days.
Two Rivers Community School will announce changes in the school schedule due to inclement weather through the following places. Please check here for up to date information:
- School Voice Mail: 828-262-5411
- Two Rivers Website
- MTN TV
- Radio Stations (WATA 1450 AM, WECR 102.3 FM, WMMY 106.1 FM, WXZJS 100.7 FM)
- Ray’s Weather
Decisions related to inclement include:
- 2 hour delay – for every day of the week this means arrival begins at 10:00AM and school begins promptly at 10:30AM. The school day will end at 3:00PM with a normal dismissal. ON WEDNESDAYS, if we have a 2 hour delay, school will dismiss at 3:00PM instead of the normal 1:00PM time. Please make appropriate arrangements for your child to stay until the end of the school day. Delays allow time for the roads to be salted and scraped. Children NOT at school on delay days will be counted absent.
- School Closing – if school is closed, then it will be posted on the website, on Ray’s and on the school voice mail. Every effort is made to make this decision by 6:30AM in order to notify the public.
- Early Closing – In the event that weather turns bad after school has begun and we need to dismiss early, we will make a decision as soon as possible. Our decision will be posted on our website and we will notify families by phone. Please refrain from calling the school so lines are free to make outgoing calls to notify families of the closing.
Before and after school care
In the event of delayed opening of school, Before School Care will be available beginning at 9:00 AM and drop-off will begin at 10:00AM.
In the event of early release due to inclement weather, there will be no After School Care.